Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Homemade Teriyaki Sauce


One of my favorite all time recipes is Chicken Teriyaki and not the healthy kind, the P.F. Chang’s, Panda Express kind with sugary sweet sauce that glosses atop of every bite. In this recipe I show a way to make teriyaki sauce without all the salt and preservatives to keep your health in check.




I had a craving for some chicken teriyaki and was determined to figure out a way to make my own, with less sugar and salt than the pre-packaged ones at the store. I flipped over the label on mine to find 500mg of sodium, high fructose corn syrup and lots of preservatives I can’t pronounce. I’m all about a little indulgence every once in a while, but with my wedding coming up in less than a year (!@*&#%!!) I’ve really been trying to curb cravings! So many mini celebrations leading up to the wedding and I can’t help but admit, I want to make sure I look good for all of them. I’ve been trying to do more meal prep so I’m less likely to make poor impulsive decisions when I’m hungry (which I do far too often since I work through the dinner hours coaching gymnastics).


So here it is, a healthier version of teriyaki sauce you can make at home. The secret: Coconut Aminos. Coconut aminos are gluten free (soy sauce is not!), MSG free and has 73% less sodium than regular soy sauce. Even if you don’t like coconut, give this a try. It really tastes nothing like coconut. It is made from the sap of coconuts, not the white flakey meat that some people are averse to. Everyday grocery stores are starting to carry them. I found this at Giant for $5.99. I also see that Thrive market carry’s it for $4.99. This is a little splurge, but if you compare it to getting take out the cost is still less per serving.


There are also two other ingredients to promote gut health in this recipe – which I’m really excited about! Apple Cider Vinegar and Ginger. Both have probiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. So whip up a batch of this and keep it on hand for your next craving!


Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
Serving Size 2 tablespoons
Makes 8 ounces

Ingredients:
½ Cup Coconut Aminos
3 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother)
3 Tablespoons Agave (can substitute with honey)
¼ Cup Water
1-2 tsp ginger minced
1 tsp. garlic minced

Directions: 
In a mixing bowl or blender, add coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, agave, water and whisk or blend until mixed. Next add minced ginger, and minced garlic. You can add a little more or less of either depending on your taste buds. Mix well using a blender or whisk. I like to use my immersion blender to really break up the ginger and garlic, but a whisk will do the job too. Top over chicken and  brown rice and a side of broccoli for a complete meal. I add ¼ cup of sauce and a little olive oil to the chicken and cook on in a fry pan until brown. This way the chicken absorbs the flavor and stays moist.


Enjoy! For more recipes follow me on Facebook and Instagram!

No comments :

Post a Comment