Saturday, February 17, 2018

8 Tips to Wedding Wellness

Photo Credit: Melissa McClain Photography
Planning a wedding is hard. With so many things to organize, it’s easy to let personal health slide, but this should be your number one priority. The day is all about you and you want to not only look your best, but feel your best to enjoy every minute. So here are my top tips for wedding wellness.

My number one priority for the big day was to feel my best, and if I didn’t I knew I would remember it forever. For my wedding, I wasn’t trying to lose weight, but rather I didn’t want to worry about my stomach getting in the way of having a good time. If you have dealt with stomach issues like IBS, food allergies or the like, I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. So I added several things to my routine to make sure I was in the best gut health possible and now I’m sharing them with you.

Here are eight tips to be well on your wedding day.


1. Create exercise goals - but make them attainable. Increase your workout schedule and get into a routine. Do this at least 6 months before the wedding or you aren’t likely to see results, not to mention you will probably be too stressed and time-strapped to commit to a regular routine if you wait. Challenge yourself but make it attainable. Finding a workout buddy is an awesome way to do this. Exercise will not only help you trim a few pounds for your dress, but will also help you mentally and emotionally. I went big on exercise and started about 10 months before the wedding at a new gym and was super committed to sticking with it. This worked for me, however, it can be as simple as adding a yoga class or a long walk into your routine.



2. Start every day with water and drink plenty all day.
Starting each day with a full glass water is important to re-hydrate you from your slumber, fires up your metabolism, helps your body flush out toxins and gives your brain fuel. I put a glass of water on my nightstand before going to bed so it’s there when I wake up. Add lemon to your water or if you are up for an extra boost, add 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (I recommend unfiltered, “with the mother”). It will help boost your metabolism, fight off infection and decrease inflammation.



3. Add a probiotic to your routine.
Adding probiotics to your daily regimen is an easy way to support your gut health. It’s hard for even the most healthy eater to get enough probiotics from food sources through the day. This is especially important if you suffer from gut issues like me. Make sure it’s a high-quality supplement without fillers, carriers, binders, has live cultures and is made with whole food. I recommend Garden of Life Raw Probiotics.


4. Stock up on healthy snacks.
Keep lots of healthy snacks on hand at home and work. This will help you curb cravings in moments of weakness, and avoid stopping for fast food when you are in a pinch for time. Here are a couple I was addicted to during wedding prep:

  • Almond Butter and Apples
  • Hummus and Veggies
  • Pickles Beets with balsamic vinegar
  • Popcorn
  • Nuts / Trail mix
  • Roasted Chickpeas
  • Kind Bars



5. Clean up your diet. I’m not saying go on a diet, but make some realistic goals, healthy swaps and come up with a plan. Maybe you become more regimented about grocery shopping to avoid going out to eat several times per week, cut back on soda, etc. Find some new recipes that you like and can add to your routine. Exercise and eating go hand in hand, so even if you are burning it up at the gym, but eating pizza and freezer meals every night you are probably not going to get the full effect. Focus on adding lean proteins, fruits and vegetables. There are tons of recipes to help you on the blog here.

6. Pray or meditate. Take time to relax, refocus and pray every day. Having your mind and soul right can go along way when anxiety creeps in. Remember the reason you are getting married. You are about to marry your best friend and soul mate, and that is more important than worrying about if the flowers will match or the favors for the guests are good enough. With the hustle of getting ready for such a big event, it’s easy to lose sight of the reason you started this production in the first place.

7. Sleep more, and say “No” to extra personal commitments. I am always on the go and have a hard time saying “no” when asked to volunteer my time. I also had a hard time sleeping the last 6 months of our engagement (I never struggled to sleep before). But during wedding season I made it clear to myself and others I couldn’t say yes to everything like my usual self. So if there is a personal commitment you can forgo during your final stage of wedding prep to help you have more personal time and get to bed earlier, do it. People will understand. Getting married is not an excuse, it’s a really big deal, so it’s ok to take a break and come back to some things after the wedding. My blog took a 6 month hiatus. Even adding an extra 15 minutes of sleep a night is huge. That’s one hour and fifteen minutes during one work week alone!

8. Keep drinking alcohol if you plan to at your wedding.
This is an oddball but important in some situations. I normally stop drinking if I’m on a clean eating plan, but I knew I was going to drink at my wedding. I didn’t want to be a sloppy bride after two drinks, so I made sure to enjoy a healthy amount of wine and a cocktails in the months leading up to the big day.

Be real. Be realistic. You already have a lot more than usual on your plate getting ready for the biggest party of your life. Making a drastic change is unreasonable for most people during this time. Make small changes that are habit forming and hopefully just become part of your lifestyle. Be yourself through all of your healthy habits. If you know you hate running, don’t join a running club unless you are truly committed. Make sure to enjoy the events leading up to the big day -- they are in your honor to celebrate the blessing of love that is in your life, don’t lose sight of that. I hope these tips help you as much as they did me and you feel your best on your wedding day!

Photo Credit: Melissa McClain Photography

No comments :

Post a Comment