Sunday, July 12, 2015

Alternative Eats: Does Greek Yogurt Make Tuna Salad Taste Better?

This week I did a "Mayo Vs. Greek Yogurt Tuna Salad Experiment".


I've been seeing a lot of recipes lately for tuna salad made with Greek yogurt. Intriguing. Greek yogurt is either loved or hated in my observances. I like greek yogurt but the question remains - could tuna salad taste better with greek yogurt instead of mayo?  Will it make traditional tuna salad seem old and antiquated? I wanted to know for myself, so I did a test with a somewhat traditional tuna salad recipe: one batch using mayo and one using plain greek yogurt.

Tuna Salad Recipe:
Serving Size 2 (easily multiplied)
 
1 Can Tuna, solid white in water
Version 1 - ¼ cup Mayo (I splurged for Sir Kensington's - way less fat!)
Version 2 - ¼ cup Greek Yogurt, plain, fat free
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp Dill
1 pinch Ground Mustard
¼ cup Celery, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

For the sandwich:
Thin sandwich rolls
Cucumber slices
Lettuce









Visually it was hard to tell the difference between the two. They both looked the same yellowish color. Results: 
Greek Yogurt Scored an 8 out of 10 
Mayo Scored a 9 out of 10
Overall I would highly recommend the Greek Yogurt!

Both were good and I would make the greek one again for sure. However, there is something about the mayo that as an American I’m so used to, and thought it had a little more flavor. Why change a good thing, right? Ultimately there wasn’t a huge taste difference. I didn’t taste the tartness that is associated with greek. The flavors were well balanced on both versions. In an effort to be healthier and cut the fat, I would highly recommend swapping out the mayo once in a while to cut out some fat. If you are a calorie counter, it’s a toss up because greek has more. Try it for yourself!

Nutritional notes per serving:
















Let me know your results and which one you vote for!

No comments :

Post a Comment