Friday, September 18, 2015

Quinoa Veggie Salad - $$


I must admit, I haven’t been very creative using quinoa until now, partially because it’s still new to me. I put it on salads and even eat it plain with oil for a quick healthy snack, so creating this recipe was out of my comfort zone and I second guessed myself a hundred times. One thing I try to remember with my recipes is that it’s ok to mess up. Luckily this was not one of my mess ups.


The veggie blend of red pepper, broccoli and bok choy with the quinoa turned into a tasty mix. Topped with feta and an asian inspired lime dressing this is a great light and healthy quinoa salad.

Price – This salad is a 2 out of 4 on my price scale. Broccoli, bok choy and red pepper are all usually around $1 each. You can substitute green pepper if they aren’t in season. Quinoa costs $3.99 at Aldi, the cheapest I can find.

Ingredients:
2 Cups Quinoa, cooked
2 Cups Broccoli, chopped and cooked
1 Cup Red Pepper, chopped
1 Cup Bok Choy, chopped fine
¼ cup Feta Cheese crumbles
Dressing:
½ Cup Vegetable Oil
2 Tbsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
1 Lime, Juice of
1 Tbsp. Honey

Directions:
Cook quinoa and broccoli (to save time you can choose to leave the broccoli raw). While cooking, mix dressing in a small bowl or in a salad dressing shaker. In a medium size bowl mix quinoa, broccoli, bok choy, and red pepper. Let sit for an hour to marinade (or it’s fine to let sit overnight). Add feta cheese and a splash of lime or lemon juice before serving.

Cooked quinoa and broccoli. Chop the broccoli fine after cooking.
Pre-mixing. Colorful and healthy veggies!
Add the dressing and let the salad sit to absorb the flavor.

Add feta and serve!






No comments :

Post a Comment