Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Kale Tips & Tricks


Kale is a unique leafy green that people seem to either love or hate. I hope you are reading this because you love kale or you are ready to give it a second chance. In my clean eating adventures I’ve had a great experience with kale, and now I want to share some of what I’ve discovered with you. In case you missed the memo, Kale is also full of nutrients...

According to nationalkaleday.org just one cup of kale provides:
  • 134% of your daily vitamin C needs
  • 684% of your daily vitamin K needs
  • 204% of vitamin A
  • excellent source of calcium and iron

There are many ways to prepare kale. Here are my top three and quick "how to's":

1. Baked/Roasted – Ever try kale “chips”? Kale chips have been a new favorite in my house, I even made them for a party, with no guest complaints!

How? Place large kale leaves onto a bake pan (with our without a rack as shown in photo) and sprinkle with olive oil and sea salt. Turn oven on 350 degrees and cook for about 10 minutes. Wait until the leaves are crispy to the touch. 




2. Sautéed – Great for sneaking into many skillet dishes like stir fry, or into a pasta bake. I’ve eaten it by itself as a snack as well.

How? In a skillet, turn heat to medium, add oil and minced garlic. Add washed kale broken into medium or large pieces (they will shrink). Stir frequently, making sure oil and garlic are spread onto leaves. Cook 10-15 minutes, or until leaves wilt. The leaves will turn dark green. Then add to your favorite dish or eat plain.


3. Salad – When moistened with oil, kale leaves soften and flavor is released, perfect for many salad combinations, like my Kale and Beet Salad.


How? Wash and dry the kale, remove large stems, then add dressing, prior to adding any other toppings. Adding the dressing is the key. I suggest using your hands or a spatula and stirring the kale with the dressing to massage the leaves. This takes 30 seconds. I’m not talking about getting into a romantic massage with these greens, but do show them some love and make sure they are all moist. (HA!) Or if you have them in a sealable container, give them a shake to spread the dressing around. That usually does the trick as well. Let sit for 15-20 minutes. Bam! This is the secret… let your leaves marinade. They will soften and become pleasantly palatable. 



Give one of these a try and let me know how it goes. Have other tips or ways you enjoy eating kale? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments :

Post a Comment