Saturday, July 25, 2015

Drinking your breakfast – Do meal replacement shakes work?


If you have been reading my blog you’re probably wondering “Does this girl eat breakfast?!”, because I haven’t posted a single breakfast recipe yet! I do love a good American breakfast of bacon and eggs and I will never say no to brunch, but since I started my diet earlier this year I have been making shakes and smoothies as my breakfast, (at least Monday-Friday). I thought this wouldn’t work for me at first. I mean seriously, I’m supposed to drink 16 oz of liquid and that is supposed to hold me over till lunch? Really? Yes, surprisingly this has turned into my routine and most days I’m alert and ready to take on the day when I take my last sip. I can’t lie, I usually supplement with a granola bar or small helping of veggies before lunch, but for the most part this has curbed my hunger in the morning and my stomach seems to agree, no more weird tummy grumbles mid-morning (common pre-diet after eating my old routine of yogurt and oatmeal!).


Since I’ve had some success I want to share with you my normal daily shake/smoothie routine. I frequently change my ingredients to mix it up but stick to about the same portions each time. So below is my base recipe that you can adapt to your liking. 

More recipes can be found on my post, “4 Smoothies to Mix Up Your Routine”. Stay away from pre-packaged mixes which usually contain preservatives and un-natural ingredients. I’ve found these are so easy to make myself, especially now that I’m in the habit.

Base Recipe
1 ½ cup liquid, Coconut Milk or Almond Milk 
3/4 Cup Fruit (or 2 parts fruit and no veggie)
strawberry, banana, pineapple, raspberry etc.
3/4 Cup Veggie
Spinach, shredded carrot, cucumber etc.(I use spinach a lot.)
1 Tbsp. Oil (coconut or flax)
2 Tbsp. Protein Power (I like Vega Pea Protein and Garden of Life Raw Protein – both are dairy free)

My go-to recipe is Strawberry Banana with Almond Milk

Recipe:
1 Cup Strawberries, (frozen or fresh)
1 Banana, sliced
2 Tbsp. Protein Powder
1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil

1 ½ Cup Almond Milk


No comments :

Post a Comment