Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Avocado Boats with Quinoa-Tomato Salad - $$$


Often times I find myself eating avocado by itself because I’m afraid if I wait another day it will go bad, or I’m in too much of a rush to think of something to do with it.  For a long time I only thought of using avocado to make guacamole or sometimes add to a salad. My energetic side said it was time to jazz up my meals with more avocados. So I present to you the Quinoa-Tomato Salad Avocado Boat.

 Did you know avocados are a fruit?! I recently learned that it is actually a type of berry – who knew!? You can read more about this in an article here from the California Avocado Commission (no I didn't make that up to sound smart - apparently it’s a real group ha!). 

The colors of this dish make it look more appetizing than the plain green of an avocado by itself. Light but filling, I could eat these alone for lunch or with dinner. It has a bit of a Mexican flare with the beans and tomato but balsamic adds a tiny bit of sweetness that makes the subtle flavors parable with many dishes. The first time I made these I ate with fish and the second with a veggie burger.

On budget – Avocados in the ripe season are $1 each, quinoa from Trader Joes is $3.49 (and Aldi now carries it), tomatoes and beans are nominal – about $1 each. None the less this one does add up to about $10 if you are making for a family of 4 (but probably less if you have some things on hand or are a party of 1), hence the 3 out of 4 rating. 

Avocado Boats with Quinoa-Tomato Salad Recipe
Note: The recipe makes enough for 4 avocados, but I usually only make 2 and use the left over filling as a snack or lunch.

Ingredients:
2-4 Avocados
½  cup White Quinoa
1 Can Black Beans
1 Medium Tomato, chopped
2 tsps. Balsamic Vinegar
1 tsp honey
1 tsp Dried Basil

Directions:
In a small pot bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add quinoa. Cook for 20 minutes, or as directed on package. Strain. Return to pot on low heat. Add black beans, tomato, balsamic vinegar, honey and basil. Stir till mixed. Keep on heat for about 5 minutes. Cut avocados in half. Peel off skin and plate. Spoon quinoa mix into the top of the avocado halves.


The filling. 
Left: Boring avocados
Right: Fun avocados!
Yum!

No comments :

Post a Comment