Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Cold Seasme Thai Noodles - $$


On a hot summer day the last thing I want to do is cook a hot meal, which is why I created this simple noodle dish! This recipe is great for a summer day or for taking to a party so you don’t have to worry about keeping it warm. Yes, you need to cook the noodles, but once the steam has left the building the rest of the prep is “cool”. This is also a cheap way to get your veggies. Carrots, cucumbers and peas are usually the same price year round. The red pepper I look for on sale or you can switch out with green. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… it’s all about the sauce! Knowing exactly what is in your food is a great way to stay healthy, and sauces from the store are often littered with questionable ingredients. I tried as hard as I could with this one to make it completely clean… but the soy sauce got me. It’s hard to take the soy sauce out of a Thai recipe (but if you have figured it out let me know, please!?). Believe me I tried it without on this recipe and it was blahhh. So two tablespoons of soy sauce it is. If you are on the Standard Process diet you can (and should) omit, to eliminate the sodium and other un-natural ingredients.

Packed with veggies, protein and an amazing sauce, it won’t taste like a clean, diet friendly recipe.

Cold Sesame Thai Noodles Recipe
Ingredients:
1 box of thin spaghetti
1 Cup Carrots, julienned
1 Cup Cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 Cup Frozen Peas
1 Cup Red Pepper, chopped
½ Cup Peanuts, chopped (omit if necessary)
Sesame Seeds (if desired)

Sauce:
¼ Cup Sesame Oil
2 Tbsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Honey
2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
2 Tsp. Tahini
3 Tbsp. Lime Juice (or the juice of ½ a lime)
Pinch of red pepper flakes if desired

Directions:

Break noodles in half and cook as directed on package. While cooking noodles, make the sauce. In a medium size bowl, pour all sauce ingredients together and whisk for 2-3 minutes.  Drain noodles with cold water. Transfer noodles to a large bowl and add carrots cucumber and red pepper. Add sauce and peanuts. Mix until ingredients are coated with sauce. Place in refrigerator for about an hour to chill, or you may serve immediately if needed. Before serving, sprinkle sesame seeds on top, if desired. 





3 comments :

  1. Hey There,
    I tried this, and it was really delicious! Thank you for sharing it- my mother loved the cold sesame thai noodles as well! Please keep the clean eating recipes coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike! Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete