Saturday, August 29, 2015

Red Cabbage Detox Salad with Ginger Vinegar Dressing - $$



Detox, detox, detox!  This is a home run, if you are looking for a cleanse or just a refreshing and healthy meal. Did I mention this is a detox salad? (haha)
Adapted from the Standard Process Diet recipe - Asian Slaw with Warm Ginger Lime Dressing, I’ve added my own twist. The original recipe calls for it to be warm and that didn’t sound great to me so this is just a tossed salad. If I ever try it warm, I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes, and you can do the same for me. Please and thank you.

Picky eaters or people that can’t stand vinegar (although you should get try to get over that - it’s so good for you!), this salad might not interest you. As you can imagine by the ingredients, this has some bold flavor, I won’t be offended if this isn't your new favorite. Let’s be real, I’m not eating this every day, but when I want to try to detox or eat extra healthy I go to this salad. It makes me feel like I’ve hit the reset button after chomping on this one. The ginger, red cabbage and apple cider are all known for their health benefits, so together this is a power packed salad!

Price: As simple as this is, it better be affordable - and it is! With only a few main ingredients this is a 2 out of 4 on the price scale. Hopefully you have ACV on hand, if not that will be the expensive item on the list especially if you go organic. I recommend Braggs. Apparently Wal-Mart is now selling it, (based on my google search) so I’m sure you can find it pretty affordable.

Ingredients:
Serving Size: 2
½ head of Red Cabbage, chopped
1 Apple, chopped (recommend gala, fuji, or honeycrisp)
1 cup Carrots chopped or julienned
½ small Red Onion, chopped

Ginger Vinegar Dressing:
3 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. Ginger
1 tsp. Lime juice
Honey to taste (will soften sourness)

Instructions: Chop red cabbage, apple, carrots (unless julienned) and red onion into small pieced. In a large bowl add all ingredients. 
For dressing: Add all liquid ingredients to a dressing shaker. Grate ginger and add to shaker. Shake and allow the dressing to sit overnight to marinade. When serving you may choose to strain out the ginger as it is strong (but I don’t). Add the dressing to the salad about an hour before you serve and stir heavily. This will help soften the cabbage. 








No comments :

Post a Comment