Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Standard Process Diet Day 2-7 (week one)

Once I got past the first couple days the diet started to get easier, and I fell into a rhythm preparing food and learning what worked for me. There were proud moments when I made delicious recipes I never thought possible, and some fails (all part of the learning experience, right?). One key tool to my diet was keeping a journal. I maintained a journal that I wrote what I ate and how I felt each day. I also kept a page for my measurements and weight, which I wrote down every week (not everyday or I may have wanted to give up).


Tip: Use the Standard Process Purification Guide. This was my go to because it has so many recipes and food info. Yes, it's long but read it before you start your diet if you decide to try SP.

Supplements: 
As I said before the supplements may make you skeptical, but if you do your homework (or read my blog) you should be at ease. All the supplements are made from whole foods (whole plants, extracts, concentrates, and botanicals) and no preservatives. All the ingredients on the label are recognizable (Ex. red clover powder, kale powder and apple pectin). I tried to get into a routine of when I took the supplements; 7:30am, 11:30am and 5:30pm.

How I felt:
I was exhausted the first three days (but hey it's a lot of work to clean all the years of gunk and debris out). Days four-seven I felt more adjusted. I was hungry here and there through the day until the end of the first week. My best recommendation is to snack. I intentionally packed snacks to hold me over between meals. Lots of sweet potato chips, hummus and dates. The dates were another Whole Foods splurge. They were the one thing that resembled dessert/candy (I keep Twizzlers on hand, so cutting out sweets was hard).

Results: By the end of week one I lost an inch off my waist line and four pounds. This was plenty of motivation for me. My main intention was to feel good. I wasn't looking for extreme weight loss, but was pleasantly surprised. I never felt ill, nor was I running to the bathroom in a panic. My stomach issues seemed to have cleared by the end of the first week. Amazing.

What I ate:
Here are some highlights, and noteworthy items from the first week.

Breakfast
Strawberry, Blueberry and Kale Shake

1 Cup Coconut Milk (non dairy, unsweetened)
1 handful Strawberries
1 handful blueberries
1 handful kale
1 Tbsp. Flax oil
2 scoops SP Complete

Lunch
Cabbage, Apple Ginger Salad
No lettuce in this salad! Daring I know. I wasn't sure how this was going to go. If you hate Red Cabbage this is not for you. The dressing is strong but if you want to detox this is what you need!

1/2 a head of Red Cabbage, diced or shredded
1 Apple, peeled and diced (you can leave the peel on if you like)
3 Carrots, diced

Dressing
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Ginger, minced
1 Tbsp. Honey
2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Snacks
  • Quinoa with balsamic vinegar
  • Cooked broccoli with garlic
  • Sweet potato chips
  • Dates
  • Avocado
  • Kale Chips (homemade)
Looks like mush but believe me there
is flavor packed in there. (Sorry for the bad
phone photo.)
Dinner
Lentil Veggie Stew
This was a hodgepodge of lentils, tomatoes and spinach, that became a go-to meal. Quick and easy, no exact measurements needed.

1/4 cup Red Lentils
1/4 cup Green Lentils
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 can sewed tomatoes (I put the other 1/2 in tupperware to preserve)
2 handfuls spinach, uncooked

Cook the lentils according to package, drain and add remaining ingredients into a medium pot. Add spinach last and let wilt until it stirs easily into the mix. Let simmer about 10 minutes. Try not to overcook.

Spinach & Mushroom Quinoa Stir Fry
Recipe coming soon!


No comments :

Post a Comment